Friday, October 10, 2008

Favorite Photo Friday: October

October, October...the month of changes when (in Oregon) fall makes it's crisp debut telling us it is here to stay; well, at least for a little while. One of my favorite changes in October is the transformation of my kids from little boys to heroic men of days gone by. Yes, we participate in the innocent festivities of Halloween.

Thinking back to pre-children days I would have said "No...there is no way I am taking part in that pagan ritual." Well, I have changed a lot since pre-children days. Enough said.What a blast we have tromping around the downtowns of our area with other members of the community.

We did, however, set in place some "rules" for our costumes which will hopefully add in some redeeming qualities to the holiday besides baskets full of candy. Looking ahead to homeschooling, I thought it would be great fun for the kids to pick a person from history to dress up as. The month of October is spent learning about that person in depth. As they get older there will be reports both written and oral to give. For now, I do most of the guiding of costume selection. :)

So here are some favorite photos from blasts of the past October 31sts.

2005: Jake as Martin Luther (October 31st is, for those who don't know, Reformation Day: the day when Luther nailed his 95 thesis on the door of the Whittenburg chapel.)Max was dangling in the carrier as the 95 thesis, but to my dismay, we did not get any pictures.


2006: Jake as Merriweather Lewis, Max as William Clark. Fitting for an Oregonian family I should say! Jake's puppy even got to participate as Lewis's dog Seaman. Daddy made the much loved gun.


2
007: Jake and Max as the Wright Brothers. It was after this escapade which Jake refused to be called "cute" anymore. He did NOT appreciate the comments from passersby. We also got the go to the Air Museum to see the Spruce Goose along with many other planes.


2008: coming to a sidewalk near you (or not for those who live far away) will be Buzz Aldrich and Neil Armstrong.
Tagging along with these two heroes of America will be Barack Obama and John McCain: no doubt attempting to "get out the vote" for the following week.

Wish me luck...I've got a lot of sewing to do in the next few weeks

13 comments:

Marsha said...

Love your idea for costumes!! Your boys are adorable!! We have a friend that dresses their children like the reformers every year. Have a great weekend.
Marsha

MICHELLE said...

Great costumes, the kids look great.

Coraly said...

cant wait to see pictures of McCain and Obama...that is too funny! kiss the chubby cheeks for me!

Eyes_Wide_Open said...

I need to get their presidential suitcoats pressed. Will find those soon. I cannot WAIT to see McCain and Obama. ;) I'm sure the astronauts will be cute too.

I'm afraid if I walk around with you to go trick-or-treating, my boys will feel left out. Your costumes are always awesome sister.

The photos are adorable.

Aidan is already excited to report on his character and learn about Jakey's. We have a whole bunch of books on hold at the library.

Anonymous said...

Oh wow!!! Cool costumes!!!

Czarnecki Family said...

Cute, cute, cute! That's a great idea - I've been trying to think of ways to avoid the scary costumes myself. I can't find a way to email you personally, so I have to ask - where in Oregon are you? You mentioned the air museum, which we live sort of near . . . are we in the same area? You can email me at megczar@comcast.net

-Meghan

Kellie said...

your costumes are always my favorites! I can't wait to see the astronauts!

Rebecca and Andrew said...

You are so talented! The boys look fantastic. Can't wait to see more pics! Wow!
'bec

Sheri said...

The cutest costumes ever! (it doesn't hurt that the boys are so cute!!!) Wonderful talent there. Happy sewing...

Crazy mom said...

Love the idea!! Absolutely love it!

The costumes (and photos) are simply adorable. Can't wait to see what you create for this year.

One question, will their be debating between the two "candidates"?

Barb

Anonymous said...

Jodi
Hi! It was fun to see you at the MCC sale yesterday. I hope you weren't creeped out by me. :) Now you can read my blog so it won't be such a one sided deal. I don't update often, but I try.
Hope you have a great Sunday.
Nicole

Paul & Beth said...

oh Jodi...I simply cannot wait to see this years costumes! You do awesome. Lindsey says, "Poor Noah...having to be Obama!"

Beth

beth said...

Just found your blog - best costumes ever! Can't wait to see McCain and Obama - beth