Thursday, April 23, 2009

Poor, poor Ollie!

Well, the youngest child has broken the barrier into broken bones and stitches. Up until now, we had not crossed it.

It happened in the ongoing battle between the littles and the bigs over territorial rights on the bigs' bedroom. Doors were slammed and Ollie's tiny pinkie (or fifth digit as the Dr. said) was caught in the hinge side.

The door had been completely closed (slammed) shut. I picked him up and saw a thin, mangled, white, bleeding little pinkie.

Seriously...I thought he was going to loose the finger. It looked that bad.

I called 911 to see if it was urgent enough for the emergency room...telling them I was not sure how well it was attached and they offered to send an ambulance. Yeah right! No thanks. Unfortunately, Jake heard the conversation and assumed his finger was coming off which sent him into a panic. (I was saying quite calm I must say). I quickly popped all four boys into the car and drove off to urgent care. (Thankfully we had just gotten home and all were dressed)

So, three hours later (thank you mom and dad for rescuing the other boys) Ollie emerged after screaming, x-raying, rocking, crying, stitching, comforting, wiping, singing, sleeping with four stitches and a splint to repair the broken finger.

I can only hope this will be a lesson learned. Hey...there's hope, right?

In Maxwell's defense (yes...it was Max) he HAD cleared Olliver and Noah of the door before he shut it (and it has to be slammed to close). He just didn't think to check the other side of the door.

12 comments:

Eyes_Wide_Open said...

I'm so glad he's okay.

It was a scare for us too. Aidan and Dom were very worried when I told them.

Nicole LH Medeiros said...

Poor baby! How long will he be in the splint?? Your description of it made me cringe. I cannot imagine how it must have been seeing it firsthand!

Aaron and Joy Edewards said...

Jordyn and I prayed for him. Later when Dad and Mom came home and explained what happened we did a little experiment with a pinki sized stick in the hinge side of the door. Jordyn said, "Oh, that's really bad. Poor Oliver."

alpidarkomama said...

Oh, ow, ow, ow. :( Poor little guy. Wishing him a refuah shleimah, a complete recovery.

Bethany Fegles Photography said...

Oh, sweet little guy. I'm so sad for him but glad he's ok! Little trooper. :)

Sheri said...

My poor, poor baby! (He looks like it's still pretty numb in the picture from medicine!) the story makes me sick to think of. And poor Max! that's a hard one to handle for him too. Hopefully they will all honor the door system a little bit better now! (look at those beautiful blue eyes!)

annacalista said...

Poor little guy! I was my parents "problem" child when it came to injuries, I had 2 surgeries and many hospital visits by the time I was two! Give him a big hug from Olivia and I. ( :

Kellie said...

Poor little guy! That's so sad! Good job for handling it well, Jodi. I probably would have freaked out :)

JPB said...

I would have passed out and the kids would have had to call 911.

Oh my gosh, it makes me queasy just thinking about it.

Anonymous said...

Makes me cringe to think of it, poor little guy. Am glad he's ok and sounds like you handled it like a pro. Give him a hug for me.

paige said...

Poor little cupcake--I hope he is well (and playing the piano) soon!

Jess said...

Poor little guy. Hope he is on the road to recovery!