Monday, May 19, 2008

Happy Birthday Brother!

Two siblings: two children. A little sister and her big brother. Teaching the lessons of siblinghood: sarcasm, teasing, how to duck from a punch. Trust: "Jon, please don't drop me! Put me down!" Throwing a ball in the yard. Rescuing from the excluding sisters. A good big brother to his doting little sister.

Two siblings: one adult, one child. Learning the lessons of life. Hurt feelings at honest words...an immature little sister realizing later her brother was usually right. Advice to get a girl through peer pressures of high school: "don't laugh at what isn't funny." A good big brother: looked up to by his young sister.

Two siblings: two adults. Living lives separated by great distances. Semi-annual visits to realize our changing views, ideas, lives. Understanding where we've come and how we got there. Discussions and laughter. Blogs to keep us in touch?! Children. Spouses. Churches. Lives. Both have grown now. Still a good big brother: admired by his little sister.

Happy Birthday, Jon. I love you!

4 comments:

JPB said...

Hey! Thanks! I forgot it was my birthday today until last night when Jen came home with my "birthday lunch" for the next day (sushi).

There are so many ways in which I wish I were a better big brother and they mostly begin with not living 1500 miles away. But I am glad for these blogs. I actually feel closer to you all than I have in years.

Thank you!

JPB said...

I think I look like Dietrich.

Unknown said...

I thought the same thing :)
I look a little like my kids...boyish and all!

Dori's Mommy (Diana) said...

I just wanted to drop by and say hi. I found your blog at Diaper Swap.

Diana